Welcome to 2018! A year that in a few short days already begun with praise for the Experience API(xAPI) and its progressive impact on eLearning, the official kickoff of the IEEE Industry Consortium on Learning Engineering (ICICLE), and the launch of signups for the Spring xAPI Cohort! Up next on our calendars this January is a trip to sunny San Jose for TechKnowledge, ATD’s annual e-learning and learning technologies conference.
While xAPI may still be listed under the program track of Emerging Technologies and will be showcased in the DISRUPT Room, its influence can be seen in every single other session track at the conference. We know you’ve already starred our xAPI: A Business User's Guide to Getting Started and made plans to visit the Yet Analytics team at booth 419, there’s no doubt that whatever sessions you’ve added to your list, you’re going to hear about xAPI.
Because of that, for this year’s must-see sessions list, we’ve decided to do things a little differently. Below you’ll find our predictions on what you’ll hear about xAPI in each track followed by a selection of stellar sessions. Check them out!
For those focused on the design, development, and evaluation of the impact of e-Learning and microlearning content, xAPI will be discussed as a means of automatically collecting data that instructional designers need to measure the impact of e-Learning and identify opportunities for content and curriculum improvement.
- W100 - Where Does Microlearning Fit in Your Learning Ecosystem?
Wed, Jan 24 | 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM | LL21BC
- W304 - Content Curation: The Art of Personalizing and Contextualizing Continuous Learning
Wed, Jan 24 | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM | 210CG
- TH100 - Right Size Fits One: 4 Dimensions of Adaptive Learning
Thu, Jan 25 | 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM | LL21BC
- TH402 - Let Your Users Learn and Do, All in One Place
Thu, Jan 25 | 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM | LL20A
IT and strategy decision-makers will be focused on identifying solutions for adopting xAPI as part of the IT infrastructure at their organizations, allowing them to modernize their learning function and create modular and scalable learning ecosystems, all while future-proofing their IT systems for new technology adoption.
- W102 - xAPI: A Business User's Guide to Getting Started << *Yet Session!*
Wed, Jan 24 | 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM | 210CG
- W1EXS - New Learning Drives New Metrics: Communicating the Value of Learning
Wed, Jan 24 | 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM | 212AB
- W402 - Transform the Learner Experience With Big Data
Wed, Jan 24 | 4:15 PM - 5:15 PM | 210BF
- TH303 - The Now and Next of Learning and Technology
Thu, Jan 25 | 2:15 PM - 3:15 PM | LL21DE
As the Float team showed with their award-winning mobile app for the E-Learning Guild’s Realities360 conference, when mobile and social tools are developed natively with xAPI, the opportunities for tracking, measuring, and personalizing the learning experiences delivered are significantly expanded. App development with xAPI allows for responsive e-learning design driven by real-time analytics.
- W305 - What E-Learning Gets Wrong About Mobile
Wed, Jan 24 | 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM | LL20A
- TH14EXD - Using Mobile Technology to Support Talent Development
Thu, Jan 25 | 9:30 AM - 10:00 AM | Halls 1/2
- TH406 - Reaching Remote Learners: What Mobile Makes Possible
Thu, Jan 25 | 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM | 210CG
- TH503 - xAPI in Practice: Using xAPI to Track Mobile Performance Support
Thu, Jan 25 | 4:45 PM - 5:45 PM | 210AE
In 2017 we saw the use of xAPI by instructional designers using authoring tools like Lectora, Adobe Captivate, and Articulate Storyline increase. And as we see more and more LMSs like SumTotal, Cornerstone, and vendors of all kinds announcing xAPI-enablement for their platforms, making xAPI data part of your learning analytics strategy just keeps getting easier and easier. We’ll see lots of case studies and how-tos at TechKnowledge 2018.
- W204 - Uncovering the True Jobs of L&D Software
Wed, Jan 24 | 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM | 210BF
- W205 - Step Away From the LMS and Everyone Wins
Wed, Jan 24 | 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM | 210CG
- W24EXD - Saving the World From Boring Learning
Wed, Jan 24 | 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM | Halls 1/2
- TH102 - Things You Don't Want to Learn the Hard Way
Thu, Jan 25 | 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM | 210DH
Some of the earliest work with xAPI was done in the game design and simulation space, most often in high-stakes training. Now organizations are looking to bring Augmented and Virtual Reality into their learning and training initiatives as well. When making the investment in immersive training such as these, xAPI becomes the strategic choice to get the most out of the rich experience data created.
- W107 - How AR and VR Redefine Learning and Training
Wed, Jan 24 | 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM | LL20D
- TH105 - An Executive’s View on the Future of Talent Development
Thu, Jan 25 | 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM | 210CG
- DISRUPT4 - AR and VR in Action
Thu, Jan 25 | 11:30 AM - 12:15 PM | 211AB
- TH301 - Start Thinking Like a Game Designer: An Interactive Learning Experience
Thu, Jan 25 | 2:15 PM - 3:15 PM | 210DH
And when you’re all done with everything else, and want to level up your inner nerd, you have to see John Medina’s keynote on “The Learning Brain: The Power of Theory of Mind.” As a developmental molecular biologist and author of Brain Rules, he’ll help us understand the Theory of Mind and how we can apply it to bring everything we learned at ATDTK into focus so we’re ready to act on it on Monday!
As we said, the Yet Analytics team will be out on the expo floor at booth number 419, presenting “xAPI: A Business User's Guide to Getting Started” on Wednesday, and sharing a case study in the DISRUPT Room on Thursday. Join our sessions, visit us at the booth, or schedule a meeting with us in advance. Can’t wait to see you in San Jose!